Setting up signatures
You can set up signatures for yourself and your team in one of two ways:
1 . Personalized Signatures
An email signature is text, like your contact information or a favorite quote, that’s automatically added at the end of Gmail messages as a footer. Skip down to the Setting up an Email signature section below.
2. Non-personalized Signatures (with a generic reply-to address)
In certain cases you may want your email address or your team's email addresses to come from a single non-personalized address. This is typically used in Customer Support use cases, where everyone on the team can reply to any email from a single mail address (where multiple support agents can respond to the same customer). To do this you may want to first set up 'Send mail as' address on your current Gmail account.
Setting up a 'Send mail as address' will enable you to easily switch between your own email address and a shared mailbox address!
Checklist that will help you set up your "Send mail as" and associate a Signature.
We recommend that you follow the steps below in this exact order as it will save you time and reduce the confusion. More explanation of these steps are provided further down in the document (with some screenshots).
STEP 1. Create an app specific password for from address you want to use -
☑️ Open the email account that you want to send on behalf of
☑️ Enable 2FA (2 factor authentication) for the account (https://support.google.com/
☑️ Generate an app specific password and make a note of it (https://support.google.com/
STEP 2. Setting up the 'send email as' address -
☑️ Open the email account that you want to add the send as address to
☑️ Click the blue Accounts tab at the top and go down to the 'Send mail as' section
☑️ Click 'add another email address'
STEP 3. Associating a signature to the 'Send mail as' address -
☑️ Create new signature in Gmail Setting screen
Setting up an email Signature
To create or edit your signatures, follow the steps below -
- Open Gmail
- In the top right of Gmail (not in Sortd full screen mode), click the Gmail Settings and then 'See all settings'.
- In the "Signature" section, add your signature text in the box. If you want, you can format your message by adding an image or changing the text style. (Note: You can also upload an image by clicking on the picture icon to the right of the fonts, bolding etc and click upload).
- At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes.
Manage multiple signatures -
- You can use different signatures for your emails. For example, you can set a signature default for new emails you compose or reply to. You can also choose a different signature with each email you send from. For more info click here
- If you have multiple email addresses (i.e. 'send as email' address), the screen will look like this:
Tip: If you want to change your signature while you write an email, at the bottom of the window, click Insert signature pen.
Setting up a "Send mail as" email address on your existing email account
If you own another email address (e.g. team@, support@, sales@), you can send mail as that address at any time from your own email account.
Step 1: Add an address you own
- On your computer, open Gmail
- In the top right, click Settings and then See all settings (do this in Gmail and not in Sortd).
- Click the Accounts and import or Accounts tab.
- In the "Send mail as" section, click Add another email address.
- Enter your name and the address you want to send from.
- Click Next Step and then Send verification (this will then send an email confirmation to that email address and it requires someone to confirm that you are allowed access to that account).
- Click Add Account
Step 2: Confirm the address
- Sign in to the account you added in Gmail (e.g. support@, team@ ...)
- Open the confirmation message you got from Gmail.
- Click the link to confirm.
- The original user should then refresh Gmail.
Step 3: Change the "From" address
- In the message, click the "From" line.
- (If you don't see this, click the space next to the recipient's email.)
- Select the address to send from.
Using the "Send mail as" feature
If you use the "Send mail as" feature to send from different addresses in your account, you can add a different signature for each address by switching between your .
To select an address, use the drop-down menu above the signature text box on the Gmail Settings page (not the Sortd setting page).
If you don’t see the drop-down menu:
- Open the Accounts and Import settings page.
- Check that your addresses are listed in the "Send mail as" section.
For more information on Signatures and "Send-As" see Gmails official help documentation